The kids had their cousins over after school today. When my kids get home from school they are always hungry. So since we are in Halloween mode, I thought that it would be fun to let the kids make Monster Sandwiches. I got the idea for the sandwiches out of a little cookbook that I have called Silly Snacks. We didn’t follow the recipe, but I let the kids get ideas from the picture. What I did was put all of the ingredients out in the middle of the table. Each of the kids had their own plate and roll and they made their sandwich how they like it. We used:
- Lettuce (curly so that it looks like hair)
- Black olives (for the eyes)
- Small pickles (for the horns, I used kosher dill petites made by Mt. Olive)
- Mini Red Bell Pepper (from our garden)
- Round Rolls
- Toothpicks (for holding the olives and pickles in place, remember to tell the kids to take the toothpicks out before eating)
The good thing about this recipe is that you can use what ever meats, cheeses, and condiments that your family likes. Have fun with this one, we did!